Truck Safety Regulations
While the Texas trucking industry is under pressure to deliver goods as quickly and cheaply as possible, compromising truck safety is never an option. By law, truck owners and operators must adhere to numerous and complex state and federal regulations governing rest breaks for drivers, mileage and load limits, equipment maintenance, vehicle operation and more.
These laws are intended to protect drivers and prevent trucking accidents. Unfortunately, violations are common and negligent trucking accidents result in injury and death for many people on Texas highways and streets every year. The Bryan, Texas, personal injury and wrongful death law firm of O'Connor & Associates helps victims and their families hold the guilty accountable for failure to follow truck safety regulations and other careless actions.
Contact our personal injury lawyer for help pursuing truck safety violation claims in an injury accident or fatal crash.
Understanding State And Federal Truck Safety Laws
All semitrucks, 18-wheelers and tractor-trailer rigs operating within Texas (or anywhere else in the United States), including NAFTA-regulated trucks crossing the border from Mexico, are subject to Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) safety regulations involving:
- Truck load limits, including proper trailer loading, load balancing and securing flatbed loads
- Employment of qualified drivers and providing proper training
- Commercial vehicle operation according to special rules regarding passing other vehicles and avoiding driver fatigue through required rest breaks
- Periodic testing of vehicle lights, tires, brakes, cab and trailer couplings, chains and straps, door latches and other truck safety features
- Valid driver logs and maintenance histories
- Mandatory alcohol and drug testing following an accident with injuries
Protecting Your Rights In Negligent Trucking Accidents
When you are injured or have lost a family member in a fatal truck accident involving truck safety violations, you are entitled to collect compensation from all negligent parties and their insurance companies. We help with all aspects of a case, including navigating complex relationships and jurisdictional concerns, to handling third-party defective equipment claims and insurance hassles.
Skilled truck accident representation by our firm helps protect your right to collect compensation and can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case.